IN THE NEWS:  The SABC’s Auckland Park headquarters. The broadcaster is under attack from outside forces, says its chief operating officer, Hlaudi Motsoeneng. Picture: FINANCIAL MAIL
The SABC’s Auckland Park headquarters. Picture: FINANCIAL MAIL

THE SABC has delayed tabling its 2015-16 annual report.

The public broadcaster issued a short statement on Wednesday advising that the media conference originally scheduled for Thursday had been moved to September 29.

READ THIS: NEWS ANALYSIS: Motsoeneng still has room to manoeuvre

No reason was given for the postponement, which came a day after SABC chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng returned to duty. This was in spite of the Supreme Court of Appeal last week dismissing an application for leave to appeal a High Court decision that found his appointment was invalid, setting it aside.

His lawyer, Zola Majavu, said he had advised Motsoeneng "there would be little point in persisting with the case to the Constitutional Court. He has accepted my view on that score".

Majavu said it was up to the SABC as to what the future held for his client: "Let the employer indicate what are they going to do with your continued employment there," he said.

TMG Digital