Hearing on Cele’s firing extended at respondents’ request
THE high court wrangle over the axing of former police commissioner Bheki Cele will resume next week, as the respondents requested an extension.
Mr Cele’s spokesman, Vuyo Mkhize, said on Friday that the respondents, who include President Jacob Zuma and five others, had been granted an extension until August 13.
"The general agreed to grant the extension. We hope they (the respondents) will have completed the process of filing their documents by Monday and only then the matter will proceed," Mr Mkhize said.
The hearing in the high court in Pretoria is likely to proceed soon after the respondents file their documents.
Other respondents in the matter include Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa and Mr Cele’s successor, Gen Riah Phiyega.
Mr Cele is contesting the findings of the report used to fire him on June 12, written by a board of inquiry led by retired judge Jake Moloi.
He wanted the court to declare Judge Moloi’s report factually and legally unsound.
"The only conclusion I could draw after reading the report is that someone must have prevailed upon justice Jake Moloi to make sure that he returns a recommendation that I be fired, at whatever cost," Mr Cele said on June 13.
Judge Moloi and the other board members declined to oppose Mr Cele’s bid and said they would abide by the court’s decision.
The board was mandated by Mr Zuma to establish whether Mr Cele had acted corruptly, dishonestly or with an undeclared conflict of interest in relation to two police lease deals he signed with businessman Roux Shabangu.
More in this section
- NUM ‘under siege’, says Shabangu in show of solidarity
- NPA seeks to appeal against J Arthur Brown’s sentence
- Cosatu ‘sowing seeds of own destruction’, says NUM’s Baleni
- Corruption Watch takes Guptas to campus
- Minister confirms SA troops placed in Congo after CAR battle
- Parents urged to get more involved in children’s school lives